Saturday, February 13, 2010

Legend Horror Classics

Legend Publishing / Harpdown Publishing
Editors: Jim Shire (Shier), Kevin O'Neill and John Barraclough
1974 - 1975

Posterbooks were very popular, in Britain, in the '70s. Legend Horror Classics was a bit different than Monster Mag in that it featured a horror comic strip in each issue. The strips were primarily drawn by Kevin O'Neill, who would later draw The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books. The back cover of the books featured a portrait of a popular film star, like Bela Lugosi, or Peter Cushing and when the posterbook was opened a full color photo from a British horror film filled the other side. Starting with issue number 10, Legend Horror Classics dropped the comic strip and switched to all film features format. Number 10 was an all Vampires issue, no. 11 Werewwolves and no. 12 Frankenstein.

Thanks to Maurice for the scans of no. 10 and no. 12!

No. 1










No. 2










No. 3










No. 4










No. 5










No. 6










No. 7










No. 8










No. 9










No. 10










No. 11










No. 12

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Never seen or even heard about these. Love issue #9 - campy and gruesome! Thanks for sharing these Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the comics story the guy getting beheaded is only a dummy.

    A scan of no. 12 is now up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo lovin' these posts! Makes me wish I was rich and could get them all from eBay.

    I've added you to my list of links over at www.MonsterMemories.blogspot.com. If you like my blog, it might fit nicely on your own list of blogs (hint, hint!) Really, though, you are on mine forever. Keep up the great work!

    -Frederick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Frederick! I just added your link. I do like "My Monster Memories", but haven't been doing much with the links, lately. Your recent post on "The Monster Times" reminds me that the next gallery will be TMT.

    ReplyDelete